From:
Pawel Kotla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:34:31 +0100
I thought that it might be amusingly connected to that topic:

I have just bought myself a new Sony Ericsson mobile phone and driven
by curiosity decided to take a look at their Sony Style web page.  It
was quite harrowing to see their ring-tones page.  Just some examples:

Title: William Tell overtune (!), Composer: Mozart (!), Playing: [William
Tell indeed]
Title: Die Neunte, Composer: Beethoven, Playing: ta ta ta taam, ta ta
ta taaaaaaaaam ["Die Funfte"...:-), first movement] (!)

I still need to check the jazzy bit which pretends to be Chopin's Trois
Nocturneop.9 nr.1.

 [All the spelling and spacing taken faithfully from the original]

I do not think this all can be put down to simple errors commonly
associated with huge amount of data being processed - there were
something like only 8 ringtones on the page altogether.

I wonder if it is a direct result of their happy and devoted support
for mixing of anything with anyone that makes any sound, e.g.  projects
like Pavarotti + Fine Young Cannibals +
the-guy-who-screams-his-lungs-out-in-a-local-pub-every-friday (at least
that was the way in which my otherwise favourite pop singer Sting sounded
in 'La donna e mobile').

Surely the future of classical music is in safe hands.

Pavel Kotla
London