From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 18:33:13 -0500
John Parker mentions:

>Charles Ives' Universe Symphony, a work he left unfinished, but composer
>Larry Austin produced a version which has been recorded by the Cincinnati
>Philharmonia Orchestra and is on the Centaur label, CRC 2205.

I have been meaning to bring this work up for discussion for a long time.
The work is interesting and visionary, but to my ears, it does not sound
much like anything else Ives wrote.  This is in contrast to performing
versions of unfinished works of Mahler Elgar and Schubert, which, despite
various problems, sound like Mahler and Elgar and Schubert.  Of course it
may be that Ives was going in a new direction.  Still, it is worth asking
how much of this work is due to Ives, and how much to Austin.  Does anybody
know?

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University