From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:42:49 -0800
Jocelyn Wang ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
>>... You are assuming it is easy to divine the composer's intention.
>>
>>If it were, then we shouldn't have HIP versions of Beethoven 9 with very
>>different tempos for the tenor solo - the scholars don't agree about the
>>interpretation of Beethoven's metronome marks.
>
>Again, there may be reasonable scholarly disagreements on such matters,
>but that has nothing to do with the instruction to repeat, which is
>unambiguous.

Jocelyn, I wasn't addressing the question of repeats - I swore after the
last go around that I wasn't gonig to get involved with that again.

What I was saying is that divining the composer's intention - which you
say are sacrosanct - is not always easy.  And that even great composers
have expressed their belief that the performer has to bring something to
the party.

Deryk Barker