From:
Milan Gowin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 23:35:12 -0700
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I notice that the middle "l" in "Lutoslawski" has a slash.  I've run across
>one or two other Polish names in which this means the slashed "l" sounds as
>"w" does in English, but I don't know if this is always so.  If it is, this
>would make the third syllable "swahv".  Would someone confirm or deny this
>suggestion, please? We may as well get it right.

You're absolutely right, Richard.  This letter does come up very often
in Polish words.  BTW, Witold is pronounced as "Veetold".  The letter "W"
is always pronounced as the english "V".  Incidentally for those who have
trouble pronouncing Gorecki, one might notice that the o has a slash above
it, this is pronounced as "oo" as in goose, but a bit shorter sounding.
The "cki", is pronouced as "tzkee".  So phonetically, Gorecki is pronounced
as follows: "Goo-re-tzkee" with the accent on "re".  Similarly with
Penderecki.  Sorry to digress like this, but I hope this helps.

Milan Gowin
http://www.ualberta.ca/~mgowin