From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 16:11:05 -0600
Donald Satz wrote:

>Being a devoted fan of Alexander Scriabin's piano music, I was delighted
>to see that the Pierian label is releasing a disc of Scriabin's piano
>works performed by the composer himself (with some help from a few other
>pianists).  Scriabin's recordings are from 1910, so the matter of sound
>quality is of interest.
>
>Perhaps Karl Miller would be kind enough to give us a few insights about
>the disc, since Karl is associated with Pierian.

Happy to.  As with all of our releases featuring Welte rolls, Kenneth
Caswell did the work.  Ken has been working with the Welte for over 40
years.

We wanted to do the Scriabin, but there wasn't enough to fill out a disc,
so we added some of Scriabin's contemporaries to the mix.  For me, it
was quite a revelation.  One piece, recorded by both Scriabin and then
a few days later in the same studio by Goldenweiser is, interpretively,
VERY different.  The composer uses such an incredible amount of rubato
and improvises an ending which differs from the score.  Goldenweiser's
playing is so reserved by comparison.  Some of the pianists will probably
be new to most listeners.  The more I get into these Welte transfers,
the more I am amazed at how many pianists of that time refused to make
discs, yet were willing to make the rolls.

Our next projects are a disc of Carreno (already recorded) and a disc
of Respighi and Casella doing a piano 4 hands version of the Fountains
of Rome.  We will couple that with at least one early orchestral recording
(by the way, does anyone know who conducted the first performance of
that work, I have been trying to locate that information) and the Casella
Welte rolls.  We were also thinking about including several recordings
Respighi made as an accompanist to his wife's singing.

Also in progress is a second volume of the chamber music of Kent Kennan
(the first volume is selling quite well) and a disc of salon music and
another disc in our series of the National Orchestral Association
performances, the Violin concerto and Third Symphony of Lopatnikoff.

I also plan a disc of Mitropoulos conducting Gould and Koussevitzky
conducting the New York Phil, from broadcasts in the 40s.

I wish I could retire and devote more time to this...at least I have my
weekends.

Also should mention, two new Nissman discs which should be out this
month, Chopin by Nissman and Beethoven by Nissman.

Thanks Don for your interest.

Karl