From:
Bert Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:05:45 -0500
Aman Ahuja wrote about how he's finding being new to CM...

>...definitely not easy -- frustrating at times, even -- but I'm loving it.
>
>* I have a collection of about 50 CDs now, and plan on using some carefully
>saved money over Christmas to buy some much wanted CDs.  I have hardly any
>Bach (having only recently looked into Boroque), and plan to buy ...
>
>"The 6 Brandenburg Concertos and four Orchestral Suites", a 3 CD set from
>Archive.  It apparently got very good reviews.

Normally, providing the name of the ensemble helps immeasurably.  One of
the advantages of a list like this is that you're bound to hear all sorts
of views about all sorts of pieces; here's mine...

The Brandenburgs were my own introduction to Bach, and I still think
they're an excellent portal to his world.  The version I got on LPs, which
I now have on 2 budget price CDs, is Herbert von Karajan's, with members
of the Berlin SO (DeutscheGrammophon 437 461-2.  It includes Suites 2&3).
I have others, but this is still a set that's often in my CD player -- even
if it's most likely far from HIP, or a Historically Informed Performance
(to do with anachronistic vs accurate playing techniques and also
instrumentation.  You may have already heard about this term, and that
debate, on this forum).  Oh yes:  I should also mention an inaudible
harpsichord solo, on both the LPs and CDs.

The Brandenburgs are out there in dozens and dozens of versions, since
they're comparatively popular works.  My advice is to find yourself a 2nd
hand CD shop that carries a lot of classical music.  This also applies
to other famous and much-recorded works, e.g., symphonies by Beethoven,
Mozart, Schubert, Haydn, etc., Mozart's Requiem, which you mentioned, many
of these composers' concertos, and others.  Surely living in Massachussets,
there must be a few 2nd hand CM shops nearby.

You'll have to pay full-price retail for the more obscure stuff in any case
-- including much of 20th century music, my favourite period -- ...so why
not economize where you can?

Of course, there's also the excellent Naxos label, with a huge musical
repertoire at what's known as 'super-bargain' prices.  Check the archives
of this List (http://home.ease.lsoft.com/archives/classical.html) for
discussion threads that mention this label.  Several discussions over the
past few years contain "Naxos" in their titles; many list recommended works
and composers.

>* Should I be wary of buying CDs online?  They sometimes do not specify the
>musicians/orchestras.

If they don't, I wouldn't even _consider_ plunking down money for them.

My eight buying experiences with Berkshire have worked out OK.  They're in
Lee, Mass., so you could actually go there, I guess.

>Any tips/suggestions on what to look for when browsing a CD store?

1.  A post, booth or other listening facility, where you can try out the
goods before the plunking.  This applies to 2nd hand shops as well.

2.  Their returns policy, especially if they don't have 1., above.

Also, about your query on how to get familiar with CM, I'd suggest CM radio
stations, my main source of new music.  Provided, of course, that there are
good ones in your area; if not, several now seem to transmit over the
Internet.

Good luck!

Bert Bailey, in Ottawa