From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:44:16 -0700
Peter Lundin wrote:

>I'm doing a annual music project that centres around a specific year,
>i.e.  music from that year is played in a couple of concerts.  for the
>coming season the year 1935 has been selected.  Now I need to tap in to
>your musical knowledge.  What are your favourites from this year; musical
>works premiered and composed then, are eligible.

Though there is surely much more, here's a select list of works I know
about (in alphabetical order):

ALAIN Nocturne for Piano
APOSTEL String Quartet #1, Op. 7
ATTERBERG Piano Concerto in B Flat minor, Op. 37
BARBER "Music for a Scene from Shelley", Op. 7
BLISS Music for String Orchestra, Op. 54
BRITTEN Suite for Violin & Piano, Op. 6
CASELLA Piano Trio, Op. 62
CASTELNUOVO-TEDESCO Toccata for Cello & Piano, Op. 83
CHAVEZ Symphony #2 "Sinfonia India"
COPLAND Piano Sonata
DOHNANYI Sextet in C Major Op. 37
FERNSTROM String Quartet #6, Op. 81b
FURTWANGLER Piano Quintet in C Major
GERSHWIN "Porgy & Bess"
GRETCHANINOV "Missa oecumenica" for SMTB, Organ, Chorus & Orchestra, Op. 142
HARTY Fantasy "In Ireland" for Flute & Harp
HILL String Quartet #11 in D minor
HINDEMITH Viola Concerto "Der Schwanendreher"
HOLMBOE Symphony #1, Op. 4
IBERT Concertino da Camera for Saxophone & Orchestra
IVES "The Unanswered Question"
JONG "Flemish" Rhapsody
MAY String Quartet in C minor
MEDTNER Theme & Variations for Piano, Op. 55
PFITZNER Cello Concerto in G Major, Op. 42
PISTON String Quartet #2
PONCE "Poema elegiaco" for Orchestra
POOT Cheerful Overture "Vrolijke"
PROKOFIEFF Violin Concerto #2 in G minor, Op. 63
RAWSTHORNE Concertante for Violin & Piano
RAWSTHORNE String Quartet
RODRIGO Piano Sonata "de Adios" (Hommage to Paul Dukas)
ROUSSEL Symphony #4, Op. 53
TANSMAN String Quartet #4
TURINA "Homenaje a Tarrega" for Guitar & Orchestra, Op. 69
TURINA Piece "Fandanguillo" for Guitar, Op. 36
TURINA Sonata for Guitar, Op. 61
WALTON Symphony #1
WIKLUND Piano Concerto #1 in E minor, Op. 10
WOOD, H. "Apollo" Overture

Lots of good stuff here.  I guess what really stands out from this
list are the orchestral works.  The Walton and Holmboe first symphonies,
Prokofieff's second violin concerto, Ives' "Unanswered Question", Roussel's
fourth symphony, Chavez's second, Barber's "Music for a Scene from
Shelley" and on and on.  But there's also a lot of good chamber
music as well.  Should be plenty here to fill several concerts.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/