From:
Jocelyn Wang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 09:35:06 -0800
Edgar Beach wrote:

>Bernard Chasan at [log in to unmask] wrote:
>
>>Classical music is unpopular because it requires an attention span and a
>>commitment.
>
>Reading a good book requires attention and commitment also.  Yet Reading
>still remains a popular human endeavor because there are still good books
>being written and read today.  Some may even attain classic status.

I believe that, for classical music to be fully appreciated, it almost
always requires more concentration than reading.  At least it does for
me.  Besides, one can put down a book if one gets tired of reading it
for the moment.  Music requires one's atention right then and there.  And
if reading were cut from public schools as have music programs, how many
books would be sold?

Jocelyn Wang
Culver Chamber Music Series