From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:41:45 PDT
Chris Bonds wrote:

>So I guess it's not really HIP I am down on, it's certain people I
>can't stand to be around.

That's a good way to look at it.  The very same persons who are HIP
practitioners or fans who have their noses pointed toward the sky would
behave the same way no matter what their preferences were.  Those types of
persons have emotional problems which will reveal themselves under a myriad
of circumstances.  There's no good reason to fault a performance style or
practice simply because some of the folks involved are emotionally
challenged.

Here in Albuquerque, I don't find any of this quarreling.  I know
hundreds of people in this city and about 10 of them are strong classical
music lovers.  I'm the only one who is a HIP fan, but I receive nothing
but respect from them concerning my preferences.  Then, I read about
all the hostility going in both directions and it just seems so trivial,
hateful, and immature.  But, intelligence and immaturity are hardly
mutually exclusive.  When I was in Graduate School, the in-fighting among
the various factions in the Economics Department was a sight to behold -
supposedly mature and fine minds forming and reacting to conspiracies that
would make for a hilarious book or movie.

Don Satz