From:
Alan Moss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 09:07:53 -0000
Janos Gereben wrote:

>"Listen well," Jeffrey Kahane advised the Herbst Theater audience tonight
>before playing the Copland Piano Fantasy.  "You may never hear it again."

Who knows? I think it is well known that when William Walton was writing
his cantata 'Belshazzar's Feast' for a music festival he noted that in the
same festival they would be performing Berlioz' Requiem with its extra
brass bands, so he wrote extra brass parts into 'Belshazzar'. Sir Thomas
Beecham is said to have commented to Walton that he might as well include
the brass bands in 'Belshazzar', predicting "You'll never hear the work
again."

Alan Moss