From:
Jos Janssen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 20:24:16 +0100
Kevin Sutton wrote:

>Norman Lebrecht wrote:
>
>>Which [critic] do you trust least?
>
>Norman Lebrect!

>Which do you trust least?

Norman Lebrect!

I'll second that.  This guy Lebrecht once ventured to write a book on
contemporary music.  Being interested in that, I bought it.  Being Dutch,
my first impulse was to inspect what he made of our contemporary Dutch
music life.  Apart from being biased, Mr. Lebrecht proved ill informed,
making numerous hilarious mistakes.  Having overcome my fury at that, I
decided to go into it deeper all the same.  It proved out to be a very
biased, tendentious book with little deeper insight and much uncontrolled
(because wrong) and uncontrollable arguments on e.g. modernists like
Boulez and Stockhausen.  Seems to me exactly the kind of book that would
set off a "The Crud, the Fad and the Mugly" discussion in this list.

>Which do you trust most?

I do not trust any music critic, although I am prepared to find truth in
what they say.

regards, Jos