From:
Michael Lehrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 22:47:42 -0700
Thomas Heilman wrote:

>My only real disappointment with the set is with the third symphony.
>Cluytens does not take a heroic approach.  In fact, it sounds laid back.

I wasn't disappointed at all, just pleasantly surprised.  True, it is not
very 'Eroic', less fierce, but I like it better this way.  After all, it is
the one after the second, and should still bear the classical influence.
IMO, the weakest in this set is the 9th, mainly because it has to be
compared to the great interpretations of W.F.  and few others.

ML