From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 11:25:12 -0700
Bernard Chasan ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Mike Leghorn:
>
>>One guy I talked with explained the apparent improvement in modern
>>musicians' technique by engineering voodoo, e.g.  the engineers can
>>somehow substitute missed notes with right notes (this seems totally
>>ludicrous to me).
>
>No vodoo, just splicing in substitute patches.  I suspect that this was
>not done fifty years ago.  Perhaps it couldn't be done.

Well, 50 years ago would have been about when it started - with the advent
of tape into the recording stdio.

There is a well-known anecdote of Klemeperer recording in the mid-50s.
At one point he noticed an error in the playback and wanted to repeat an
entire movement.  The engineers assured him they could simply record a few
bars and splice the correction in.

Klemperer turned to his daughter (and assistant) and said:  "Lottem, ein
schwindel [swindle] ist!"

One reason I so much prefer listening to live performances (I mean unedited
live performances) these days.

Deryk Barker