From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:45:27 -0600

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Hector Aguilar wrote:

>So here is the question: How many Romantic composers wrote at least two
>(I chose two as the lower end number, because I suppose anyone can write
>at least one symphony in his/her life) but fewer than 9 symphonies?  I've
>always imagined that during the mid to late-19th century there were a
>slew (Tens?  Hundreds?:) of symphonic composers who tried to follow in
>Beethoven's footsteps, and that only a precious few and great escaped
>obscurity.  Now I'm beginning to wonder if that was really the case.
>Offhand I can think of three composers who wrote fewer than 9 symphonies--
>Berlioz, Brahms, and Tchaikovsky-- but who else is there?

I certainly don't have a number, but a few that come to mind...

Johann Joseph Abert (1832-1915) 6
Borodin (1833-1887) 3
Rimsky Korsakov (1844-1908) 3
Steinberg (1883-1946) 4
Taneyev (1856-1915) 4
Liapunov (1859-1924) 2
Kalinnikov (1866-1901) 2
Melartin (1875-1937) 8
Wetz (1875-1935) 3
Lachner (1803-1890) 8
Schnyder von Wartensee (1786-1868) 5
Draeseke (1835-1913) 4
Rubinstein (1829-1894) 6
Paine (1839-1906) 2
Bristow (1825-1898) 3?
Rachmaninoff 3 numbered, plus the Bells and an early unnumbered symphony
for which the Scherzo survives...

Karl