From:
William Hong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:23:24 -0400
Larry Sherwood wrote:

>Anne Ozorio noted
>

>>The average middle class child in Japan, China and Korea is expected
>>tp learn something at least about classical music at school, not
>>necessarily because the parents are musical
>
>I have some experience with this concept as it pertains to Koreans.  An
>exposure to classical music among young children is part of the culture
>of contemporary South Korea.  Schools give instruction on performing,
>and many children aspire to perform.  Of course, much of it is only a
>shallow interest that does not flourish, but that early exposure is
>crucial.

I've tried to think about this for awhile before posting, since I don't
claim to have any particular insight about Asian upbringing (musical or
otherwise) any more than any other American who has observed things about
other cultures, as Larry has.

In our own case, neither my wife (who is Korean born) nor I (born in
the U.S.  of Korean parents) have any particular musical talent, though
I had the pleasure of playing in school bands and orchestras until the
end of high school here in the U.S.  I was encouraged by my parents, who
also tolerated my ever-enlarging recording collection.  But it certainly
wasn't considered an "Asian" thing per se.

But having classical music (recordings) in the house was probably a
big factor in helping to get our two boys started, both in violin and
piano.  It was evident from an early age that one of them especially
had a particular talent for music, but also that they were going to be
"different" from most of their peers, because they were so immersed in
classical music, though fortunately it has never been exclusively so.

The Washington DC area may not be typical of the U.S.  as a whole,
however.  The high immigrant population, but also the relative affluence
in many areas is such that pursuing classical music as one's school
activity isn't discouraged, even if it's clearly a minority activity (in
the numerical, not racial/ethnic sense).  It does mean that many public
schools here still have viable music programs at the elementary level.
I'll cite the fact that my kids have or are attending a public magnet
school for the arts and sciences (http://www.fcps.edu/BaileysES/) where
EVERY third grade student is REQUIRED (along with their teachers!) to
take a year of violin as part of the curriculum.  No doubt most kids
gladly give it up at the end of the year, but the early exposure that
Larry mentions may give some kids the spark to carry it further.
Unfortunately, it's not a district-wide feature, but the diversity of
nationalities in this school is such that violin seems to "translate"
among them all better than might other instruments.

All that said, it's clear that of the kids who do continue to pursue
musical studies and/or to play in ensembles that perform classical music
in this area, the majority of the kids are Asian.  I don't know the
reasons why beyond my own personal circumstances, (as others have hinted,
perhaps it has to do as much with attitudes toward education and income
level as ethnicity?) but I also don't see much signs of it slowing down.

Bill H.