From:
Joyce Maier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 17:19:17 +0100
Nadine Meertens wrote:

>My cello teacher always says me that before an audition, fellow-men only
>see how she is dressed, how she looks, but seldomly have any concern
>about how she plays (and she is a very good player!).  How can you simply
>presume, that because fewer composer are men, men are better composers!
>May I remember you, that perhaps only 50 years ago, it was practically
>impossible for women to do as they wanted, professionally or privately.

That may be true, but it's sensible not to mix up the two musical
situations mentioned in this posting.  Men watching a female performer is
situation #1 (and yes, they often will look a bit too much and listen a bit
too less), but the question for the missing female composer is situation
#2.  Though a woman, I tend to agree that the differences between the
brains of women and those of men maybe have something to do with the lack
of female composers.  It seems not very likely, I guess, that it only can
be explained by the impossibility for women to become a composer.

Regards,
Joyce Maier