From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 20:31:13 -0500
Gary Evoniuk wrote:

>Personally, I prefer no exposition repeats on recordings of post-Beethoven
>symphonic literature but yes to repeats in live performances.
>Unfortunately, current trends seem to run in the opposite direction.
>
>Question - Why don't CDs contain more liberal use of index markings which
>would enable the listener to program their players to give them the choice
>of hearing it either way?

Ahhhh, allow me, please.  The composers often wrote two different endings
for the sections that were to be repeated.  The first ending went back to
the beginning (which sometimes eliminated the introductory material) and
the second ending took you into the proper harmony for the next section
(development).  If you program a repeat where none exists on the cd
(because a second ending was chosen) it will sound goofy to go back to
the exposition without that smooth transition.

This is true of symphonic and chamber music.

I have an edition of Haydn string quartets with a few movement's repeats
indicated in all parts BUT the first violin.  Instead, the first violin
part has the whole section written out full length (no repeat).  It causes
a four- lane traffic pile-up if the lower voices do not observe that
repeat.  The innocent first violinist usually doesn't realize there is a
trouble spot and goes blithely along till it starts sounding terrible.  It
is a timed I.Q test.  How quickly will some quartet member figure out the
problem?

Mimi Ezust, traffic cop