From:
Thanh-Tam Le <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 04:15:23 -0500
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The comments by Richard Pennycuick and Barry Brenesal concerning Draeseke's
>symphonies make them sound very appealing.

<sigh>:-)

>Should I assume that there are no cds of the 2nd or 3rd symphonies?

Not for the time being, and I suppose that MDG will continue the series
only if the first record is successful enough.  By the way, there is a 4th
symphony, "Comic" (1912), which I never heard.  For instance, we are still
waiting for Woyrsch's symphonies Nos.  2-6...  True, the 1st was recorded
for the fiftieth anniversary of his death, but it seems that the initial
skepticism had given way to strong interest.  By the way, even CPO owes us
Wetz's 2nd and 3rd symphonies, especially if they are less influenced by
Bruckner than the 1st (I love Bruckner but would like to hear an individual
voice in late-Romantic German symphony, alongside with the few ones we
already know!).

Miguel A(ngel?) Gomez-Martinez was born in Granada (Spain, not Grenada),
started conducting at the age of seven, studied piano, violin, composition
in Madrid, then conducting with Swarowsky in Vienna.  He has been guest
conductor in famous opera houses and major orchestras throughout Europe
(especially in Germany), appeared in fesrivals in Berlin, Vienna, Munich,
Aix-en-Provence, Orange, Savonlinna,...  He has been Principal Conductor
or Music Director at the RTVE SO, the Teatro Lirico Nacional in Madrid, the
Basque National Orchestra, the Nationaltheater in Mannheim.  Apparently he
currently is Principal Conductor of the Hamburg Symphony and Music Director
of the Finnish National Opera.

Best wishes,

Thanh-Tam Le