From:
Janos Gereben <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:25:46 -0700
[Message from Danielle Woerner]

It is with great sadness that I pass along the news of the
death, early this morning (Sunday), of Robert Starer, at
his home in Woodstock, NY.  He was 77.  His funeral will
be this Tuesday afternoon in Woodstock.

Robert was, I believe, one of the 20th century's finest
composers, and many singers and choirs are grateful for
his wonderful music for the voice, including songs,
chamber and orchestral pieces and five chamber operas.

On a personal note, he was a dear friend and a generous
collaborator in the creating and performing of music,
someone I feel privileged to have known over the past
decade.  He was continually working on new compositions,
and it is a joyful thing to know that he was creating new
work literally unto his last day: I just received from his
long-time partner, Gail Godwin, a copy of the last piece
he wrote - only yesterday - a song for soprano, fittingly
called "Evening," to a poem of Allen Lannom.

Janos Gereben/SF, CA