From:
"Stephen E. Bacher" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:57:30 -0500
Arturo Llamas Orenday <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Yesterday I was listening the marvelous Mass K. 427 "Grose messe",
>obvously by Mozart; and in the part "Domine Deus" there are a moment
>when the two female soloist voices sings.......but if you hear very
>carefully the are in fact three voices, the third of them very high
>and beetween the other two........
>
>How is it called?  I mean are the harmonics of the voices?  are the voice
>od God?  what is it?  In what another work have you noticed this effect?

I don't know about the Mozart work, but there are certainly other pieces
where choral harmonics are carefully crafted to produce what sounds like
an additional voice.  The final chord in Stravinsky's "Symphony of Psalms"
is one standout example; there are no doubt others.  Of course, you only
hear the effect when properly executed by a very in-tune chorus.

 - seb