From:
Laurence Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:00:32 -0500
Ha Ha, Walter-

I know something you don't know, nyah, nyah, nyah nyah, nyah!  But if
I told you, well you'd be as smart as me (right, Walter??).  However,
it being the time of year when at least all Christendom is supposed
to manifest goodwill to all, I'll share a little of my vast store of
erudition.

Ahem.  Perhaps I heard the same broadcast you did, because I recall
listening to Bach's "Magnifcat" recently (I vaguely recall it was a
Richard Hickox recording).  Now *I* was not sure I heard anything amiss-
no forget I said that!- but I recall the announcer saying that he would
play a rarely performed version of the piece.  I believe the announcer
noted that reason why Bach wrote different versions, but, darn it, I've
forgotten what the reason was.  In any case, he said the version he
played included some Christmas carol or carols, whereas the typical
version we hear does not include the carol(s).

Larry