From:
Eric Schissel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 21:21:15 -0400
Interesting that Eshpai studied with Golubev .and. Miaskovski (Golubev
having studied with Miaskovski himself; Golubev having no entry in Grove 6
aka the New Grove, indeed no mention that I can see other than a mention
under his student Schnittke to the effect that Schnittke had done some
post-graduate work with him (IIRC).  Grove 5 was more generous to Golubev.
Judging from what I've heard of Golubev's music, Grove 5 had it right,
Grove 6 doesn't; it's fine stuff.  I like what I've heard of Eshpai's
music, but I really rate the several works I've heard by Golubev (none on
CD). Sorry about the tangent. BTW does anyone know if Evgeni (Golubev, that
is) is still alive?)

-Eric Schissel