From:
Kathleen O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:28:22 -0500
Ignat Fialkovsky wrote:

>I'm seeking for a choral (?+ orchestra) work with arabic/muslim origins.
>Something like "Requiem" in meaning. Unfortunately I don't have myself any
>idea how to find anything like this. Could someone probably help me?

Perhaps you should consider starting your search with some of the works
written or recorded by Soeur Marie Keryouz, S.B.C.  Since she is a Lebanese
Christian, her work is not, strictly speaking, "muslim"; however, the works
on the recording that I have (Cantiques De L'Orient, on Harmonia Mundi
901577) are settings of Arabic texts and are sung in Arabic.  To my ear,
at least, the works employ scales /modes, compositional methods, and
performance techniques (e.g., vocal improvisation) that are similar to what
one hears in non-Christian music from the Middle East - but I'm admittedly
no expert!  The instruments she employs are definitely not traditional
western orchestral instruments, however, if that's what you're looking for
(the recording I have uses the following instruments:  cythare, lute, nay,
"violin orientale" and percussion).

Good luck in you search!

Kathleen O'Connell