From:
Mark Knezevic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:31:06 +0800
Bernard Gregoire wrote:

>Derek will understand that my invective is not directed at him but, to
>persons who lack common courtesey to recognize their obligation so simply
>SHUT UP during music they may not especially appreciate.  After all is
>considered persons who enjoy the OTHER kind of music paid just as much
>for admission.  To make a positive observation, however, things may have
>improved at concerts over the years.  Audiences today seldom shout or throw
>ripe fruit at the musicians as was a sometime practice in the 18th century.

Personally, I wouldn't mind throwing fruit or whatever at a symphony
orchestra.  What have we lost!  I think some ambitious promoter should
organize such a concert and let everyone throw fruit at everything!  It
would be a lot of fun.  Ah well:P Re-creating a scene they could call it.
Some 1970's avant-garde "audience participation" playwright should work on
this project.  Nowadays we are too nice.  Oh wait ...  I suppose you are
right in some respects.  Throwing stuff on the stage is more reserved for
rock concerts (ie if anyone has heard that bootleg of Roger Waters of Pink
Floyd yelling at someone who let off fireworks, Waters saying:  "A lot of
people want to listen to this song ....  _I_ want to listen to it." Funny
stuff:P)

As to orchestras ... what I can say living in Australia is that there
is A LOT of criticism of our symphony orchestras - SSO, WASO etc - of not
playing contemporary Australian works, but sticking with the generic German
stuff to continue to draw some sort of crowd.  Basically no Australian
music is ever heard because by definition, due to Australia's young age,
all Australian music is contemporary music:P

-Mark A. Knezevic