From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:15:57 PST
The following recordings have an expected U.S. release date of 14 March:

A new Gardiner recording of Bach Easter Cantatas - DG.  From what I have
read, many more Gardiner/Bach releases are in the works.

Handel/Telemann German Arias featuring Dorothea Roschmann and the AAM
Berlin - Harmonia Mundi.  I think Roschmann's a great singer in baroque
repertoire.

Handel Cantatas featuring Eva Mei and Il Giardino Armonico - Teldec.  To my
knowledge, this is the first time Il Giardino Armonico has recorded Handel.

Haydn Piano Concertos from Leif Andsnes and the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra
- EMI.

Mozart Piano Quartets and chamber version of piano concerto #12 from
Brendel and the Alban Berg Quartet - EMI.  Great performers and great
music should add up to a sterling release.

Beethoven Piano Sonatas, Vol.  5 from Russell Sherman - GM.  Although not
without flaws, Sherman has brought to the previous volumes a keen sense of
structure and integrity.

Beethoven String Quartets Opus 74, 95, and 135 from the Eroica Quartet
on period instruments - Harmonia Mundi.  This group has already recorded
a disc of Mendelssohn string quartets.

Mahler's 4th Symphony from Boulez - DG.

Suk's Summer Tale from Mackerras - Decca.  This is repertoire that
Mackerras excels in.

Of the above, I'm most looking forward to the Beethoven string quartet disc
from the Eroica Quartet.  Period instrument recordings of Beethoven middle
and late quartets are rare.

Don Satz