From:
James Tobin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 16:45:12 -0600
Recently Steve Schwartz reviewed this at length and found it "too
comfortable," and "too damned nice," going on to say that "the air hangs
heavy with good taste." In response, Kevin Sutton, even less enthusiatic,
expressed fear of insulin shock from parallel sixths and other sugars.

Having just heard this (twice) for the first time I really need to express
a different kind of response.  If I were going to say the things Steve
said about any Thompson work, it wouldn't be this one.  For one thing,
I really like the instrumental writing, which is spare, vivid, and a
prominent part of the work; the fine recording gave the instruments--and
vocal soloists--real presence.  I don't much care for unaccompanied vocal
music, which is why I admit to much preferring this and the really
disdained Testament of Freedom to, say, Peaceable Kingdom.  There is great
simplicity to this music (Nativity), to be sure, but there is much to like
here.  It more than kept my attention.

For anyone interested in hearing this, or some of Thompson's other works,
including the wonderful Second Symphony, Berkshire Record Outlet is
remaindering several Koch recordings of his music.

Jim Tobin