From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2000 17:22:22 -0800
The problem with indications like 2/3, it would seem to me, is that we
have no notation for a *single* third (or two-thirds) note (as it were).
Currently, AFAIK, the only way of notation 1 such would be to precede it
with a 2-note rest and tie the whole together with a 3 over the tie.

As close as I can notate this in ASCII:

         3
        ---
        % |

Where % stands for a (say) quarter-note rest and | for an eighth-note
(gosh, how quickly I adapt to N American usage - actually I can never
remember whether it's a crotchet or a quaver whcih is a quarter-note...:-()

Mats Norrman wrote:

>This thread reminds me about a pianopiece by Eric Satie called
>"Flabbydog" or something like that.  The piece has 3 sections: first goes
>in 74/2, the second in 88/4 and the last in 40/2.  There you can talk about
>unconventional!  But it is common knowledge that Satie was a little
>original...

Downright bizarre if you ask me - and so shy that he was known to leave a
dinner party and go home, rather than ask to use the washroom/toilet (more
usage).

Deryk Barker