From:
Virginia Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2003 23:06:41 +0100
Mike Leghorn responds to Phil Domingues:

>>Love to drive through town with speakers cranking out:
>>THE LAST MOVEMENT OF MAHLER'S 2ND....the "RESURRECTION"
>
>I've done that.  It was one of my more memorable moments in car listening.
>My trip home was too short, so I ended up driving around the block a few
>times in order to hear the whole movement.

And so have I.  We played the entire symphony during a car journey in
France a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately the climax came just as we were
parking at the end, and our daughter was sufficiently desperate to get
to the beach that we had to turn it off.  And when we restarted, the
tape started playing the other side (I still haven't worked out exactly
how the tape deck works), so I never got to hear the end and the effect
would have been lost anyway.  On the way back, our daughter insisted on
having one of her tapes of nursery rhymes on the grounds that 'you've
had your tape'.

Virginia Knight
Personal homepage: http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~ggvhk/virginia.html
Blog (mostly about singing): http://edward.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/~cmvhk/blog/