From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:09:43 -0800
Bach: Violin Concerti
King's Consort/Robert King
Hyperion 66380

Summary from the busy non-executive: OK, OK--this HIP performance really
does sound better than my old Stern/Ormandy collaboration with Horowitz on
the Steinway.

John buying HIP....well, the store was closing and I had to buy *something*
with the rest of my credit!  Seriously, I have really enjoyed King's
arranged Bach Trio Sonatas, so I figured that I couldn't go wrong with his
Concerti.  (And Robert King looks SO good in a tux--he's one of the most
handsome English musician that I've seen come along since.....since.....uh,
I'll have to get back to you all on that one.)

Beautiful performances; though--now a HIPster--I'm nursing my first
post-purchase wounds inflicted by the anti-HIP sentiments of a Gramophone
reviewer, who composed the most hilariously outrageous condescending line
regarding the included Oboe Concerto: "Paul Goodwin's oboe blows with the
utmost elegance into a velvet handkerchief."

John Smyth  (Oh--my Great Aunt Ethyl--she was handsome!)