From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 01:01:45 -0600
Sandra Beane wrote:

>In reguards to the bach suites.  I feel that Rosterpovich is the best.  He
>just has the technique and the emotion.  even for a recording.  Though the
>NEW yo yo ma recording is a good one as well.  The one released in the 80's
>is awful.  That one was "let's see how fast we can play this".  but the new
>one released last year, I think, is a good one.

Sandra is of course entitled to her opinions, but I completely disagree.
The Rostropovich to my ears is completely unmusical.  He hacks and saws
away at them as if he cello were a tree to be felled, not an instrument to
be played.  As for the early Yo Yo Ma recording, this is splendid virtuosic
playing and the effect is thrilling.  Sure they are on the fast side, but
who cares.  They are breathtaking perfomances that he should have left
alone.  The new versions are a cheap gimmick.  Bach TV.  Spare me please!

Kevin Sutton