From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 19:53:31 -0700
Jane Pierce wrote:

>Are there any re-released recordings of Landowska playing Bach? Perhaps she
>only played to live audiences.  Just wondering.

I believe there are several recordings.  The only one I have is Landowska
playing the Goldberg Variations, the Italian Concerto and the Chromatic
Fantasy and Fugue.  The recording is on the EMI label (CDH 7610082).  The
variations are taken from a 1933 recording and the other 2 pieces from
1936 recordings.  All were transferred from 78's and digitally remastered
in 1987.  Overall, I like the recordings very much.  The clarity leaves
something to be desired but the performances are nice.  I have actually
become quite fond of the strange recorded sound of the harpsichord in this
recording.  Reminds me of something from the Disneyland Main Street
electrical parade.

Wes