From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Feb 2000 11:33:56 -0500
Donald Satz writes:

>... Kirby might well perform composers such as Verdi and Puccini
>in concert performances, but I don't believe she has done so on record....

The one time I saw her, here in Munich at the State Conservatory, she sang
solely baroque--and maybe a Mozart, but I'm no longer sure of that.  She
gave four encores and none of those were verismo.  That proves nothing, of
course, but it may begin to demonstrate something.

And Jonathan Knapp observes,perceptively:

>She has developed a technique which imitates the boy soprano sound
>in a female voice.  This gives her tremendous flexibility and ease....

When I heard her, this didn't come to mind.  But, by gosh, it fits.  She
certainly sings with very little quaver--a naive, virginal cast to her
voice, but very much suited to her sort of repertoire.  (She also dressed
the part, in stuff that seemed to suggest she was about to take off for
Oz.) I certainly enjoyed her singing--and the live version much more than
the recordings I have).

Denis Fodor                     Internet:[log in to unmask]