From:
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:24:21 -0500
Scott Morrison wrote:

>... And those of us who had wanted badly to hear it but had not been
>able to attend a performance, had had to make do with bootleg tapes
>of previous performances.  And we hoped and prayed that one day it
>would be recorded commercially.  Our wait is over!  And thanks to
>Bolcom's wisdom, it is on the budget label, Naxos, rather than one of
>the high-priced labels; thus its 3CDs will not break anyone's budget.

This is good news indeed.  I made a couple of audio cassettes of a St.
Louis Symphony broadcast of the piece several years ago.  Naturally there
are short gaps where I had to turn the cassette around, so I've NEVER
heard the work in its completeness.  It'd be great if "SoI&E" were to
become a big hit and further establish Dr. Bolcom as one of America's
leading composers.  If I see Richard Dyer of the Boston Globe at the
Mahler 8th BSO concert Friday, I'll tell him to acquire the CD and review
it in his column!

Laurence Glavin
Methuen, MA