From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 08:17:13 PDT
Walter Meyer wrote:

>I think the phrase, "to die for," aplied to music is hyperbole which
>diminishes by it excess, something like the praise of Lear's two
>older daughters.

I don't see any problem with "to die for", "to kill for", and some such
wording.  It's not meant to be taken literally.  It just shows that the
person using the phrase has strong positive feelings for the composer,
work, or performance in question.  I think folks ought to use whatever
phrases they want when extolling the merits of something.  Personally,
I like "to kill for".  From me, the phrase indicates that I would take
strong active and aggressive action to ward off deprivation from the work
or composer.

Don Satz