From:
Barrett Reynolds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:00:21 -0700
I must confess, I've never heard of that piece of music before,
but I can definitely relate to the experience.  Personally, one of my
greatest pet peeves in life is being on the road when some bandana-clad,
gold-toothed teenybopper drives by, cranking his meaningless musical
swill at 47,000 decibles (although being 19 myself, I guess I'm technically
a "teenybopper" too).  It just really burns my grits, I tell ya!  My
greatest dream in life is to one day drive down the road with two hulking
sub-woofers blaring proudly the majestic and triumphant "Ode to Joy"
theme,from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, or perhaps Tchaikovsky's 1812
Overture.  Oh, how I'd revel in the looks of dumbfounded amazement and
stupified awe as I tear through the streets, bringing a message of
individuality and non-conformity to the disillusioned masses.  Kinda
goofy dream, isn't it?  But that's just how I get my jollies out of life.
And it would definitely be a significant event to those hearing the music
for the first time, at least for the rest of that night.  In fact, while
we're on the subject of classical music as noise pollution (or noise
sublimitization, depending on your point of view), what would be your
favorite tunes to play at the top notch of your car stereo?  I would
nominate the aforementioned two pieces, plus Mussorgsky's "Night on Bald
Mountain", Beethoven's Waldstein sonata, Rossini's William Tell Overture,
Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik" and 25th Symphony, Bizet's Toreador's
March from "Carmen", "In the Hall of the Mountain King" from Grieg's
Peer Gynt Suites, Prokofiev's 7th Piano Sonata, and Wagner's "Ride of
the Valkyries" and Prelude to Act 3 of "Lohengrin".  I could list dozens
more, but I'd love to hear some other opinions on this one.

Keep on listenin'

--Barrett