From:
Ravi Narasimhan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 22:12:03 -0500
Hector Aguilar <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Peter Herwitz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>I saw at Tower in the village the set of Beethoven violin sonatas with
>>Casadesus/Francescatti.  Can anyone reccomend this recording?- it sure
>>seems attractive and I don't think you can have too many recordings of
>>these marvelous pieces.  I have Grumiaux/Haskil, both Schneiderhan's,
>>and Oistrakh/Oborin.  Are than any others that seem essential?

Concur with the positive comments expressed by others.  I enjoy very
much the tone and balance in Casadesus/Francescatti's 'Spring' and
'Kreutzer'.   I seem to recall that it was an inexpensive CD - well
worth having.

Hagai Shaham and Arnon Erez's competition recording of the 'Kreutzer'
is excellent.  An authorized copy of the third movement is available
from a fan site: http://members.aol.com/micke5000/music1/hagai_shaham.htm

The whole piece was available a couple of years ago when free online
storage sites were more plentiful.  I like the bite that Shaham puts
into the piece especially in the first and last movements.  Erez's
accompaniment meshes nicely with the violinist; a genuine collaboration
with neither outshining the other.

--- Ravi Narasimhan