From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 1999 21:05:53 -0700
Deryk Barker wrote:

>But you *DON'T LISTEN* when you're doing other things, which was JC's whole
>point.  The only time (or on of the only, at any rate) people really listen
>is in the concert hall.  Hence...

I completely diagree Mr.  Barker.  It is a fact that when I am walking
out to my car, from my last class of the day, all I CAN do is listen to
what's around me.  To tell you the truth I wouldn't be surprized if that
walk takes very near to 4'33" for me to complete.  When I am walking,either
outto my car or from class to class or anywhere for that matter, I am
always listening to the sounds around me.  I sometimes get quite immersed
in the "symphony" of sounds which surround me constantly.  Surely I am not
listening when I am concentrating on an exam or something of that sort,
but when I am left with nothing to do but listen, as I walk from place
to place, I do indeed listen to the world around me.  Having said that
I think there is nothing lost if I head to the bathroom to listen to
the toilet-flushing symphony or to the lobby for a sampling of the
Popcorn-making quartet.

--Wes Crone