From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 08:58:20 -0800
Doris Howe ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>>While doubtless all of the above is true, I still find, whever I am in the
>>UK, that I can take about 15 minutes of Classic FM before having to switch
>>off.
>
>Isn't this what the "off" switch on all equipment is for? One has to be
>selective.  The main listings are in the Radio Times, but not the details.
>The Playlists could be found perhaps on CFM website?

I think my point was that a "top-40" playlist approach to classical music
is insulting.

>>I still managed to catch the finale (only) of Saint-Saens' Carnaval of the
>>Animals three times in less than two weeks.
>
>Well I have a theory that the Estate/Heirs of Benjamin Britten has an
>agreement with Radio three that the "Four Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes"
>must be played at least once a month.

Perhaps, but the S-S was simply one example.  There are other works (or, to
be more precise, extracts) which get played far more often than one would
imagine reasonable.

>...Who suggest you invest in the current Radio Times when you are in the UK.
>most people buy it for TV Programmes, but I read it for the music.

I do know about the RT, but it's not something one should be consulting
while driving.

Deryk Barker