From:
Gerardo Constantini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 11:21:31 -0500
The whole last week a local radio station, was playing a lot of old
recordings of Nikita Magaloff.  It was for me like an anti-streess therapy.
It made me forget all the thipical arguments of the discussions about
this or that pianist playing some work.  What happen is:  those "old"
masters,didn't have the obsession to don't play wrong notes,or something
similar.  They (instead of) had the obsession to don't play wrong
phrasing,etc..  In other words they were identified 100% with the music,
and when they had a very good,big,and interesting idea on how to play an
inner voice wich sometimes is not very noticeable,or maybe change some
original intentions of the composer(like "Pictures of an exhibition" by
Horowitz),or something similar in benefit of the music in itself.  The
most interesting recordings i listened from Magaloff in this radio, were
the Rachmaninoff Third, and the Prokofieff third(concertos of course) .I
listened in the Rak 3 the most beatiful rendition of the second movement
(the last one was a little confusse).  In the Prokofieff 3, i enjoyed a
cristal clear sound in the first movement, and a very nice tempos,and a
very clear concept of the structure.Like magic a lot of inner voices which
almost nobody use to deserve a little bit of interest for them,were openly
exposed.  As i said before,for me,Pollini maybe is the greatest living
pianist ,but in the sense (direction) of a perfect rendition of what is
written on the score.  But for some kind of works, i preffer sometimes a
different pianist.  BUT to have the experience,and the emotion of listen
to people who is making ART at the higher levels, and who make the emotion
of listening from time to time a wrong note at very high intensity, i
return to the old masters, like the unforgetable Rubinstein,
Richter;Magaloff,Brailowsky,Feimberg,etc.  I think with today parameters
of?perfection?, we cannot expect anymore artists of that dimension.
Cordially:

Gerardo Constantini:.