From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 19:03:10 -0800
Wilson Pereira ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>MAHLER - Symphony no. 1 - London Symphony Orchestra/Jascha
>Horenstein/Unicorn-Kanchala.
>
>...this, the record company should put the Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen,
>like in Kubelik's DG, to fill the rest of the disc.

Unfortunately AFAIK Unircorn has no recording of LefG to couple with it -
there is a Horenstein recording, but it was made in 1954 for Vox.

>By the way, I liked the sound in Kubelik's recording, despite the
>'artificial' brass.

This does make me wonder about your equipment...:-) I have always loved
this performance despite the reocording; live recordings of Kubelik in this
symphony show that DG's recording was libellous, especially wrt the BRSO
brass.

Much as I love both Horensteins, my favourite remains Kubelik, prefereably
the 1975 live performance (hard to find) on 'Originals' (not DG)

>MAHLER - Das Lied von der Erde - John Mitchinson, Dame Janet Baker/BBC NS
>Orchestra/Raymond Leppard. BBCM 5012-2.
>I'm a little bit disappointed with this recording.  The sound is not so
>good for its age (1977), and I didn't like John Mitchinson's singing.  In
>my opinion, Julius Patzak (DECCA Legends, with Ferrier and Bruno Walter) is
>the reference to which all other tenors should be compared with.  ...

Have you heard Horenstein?

Deryk Barker