From:
Tim Mahon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:44:32 -0700
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'd like to get Stravinsky's Symphony in C, Symphony in 3 Movements, and
>Symphony of Psalms.  Schwann Opus lists three cd's having these works:
>Tilson Thomas on Sony, Stravinsky on Sony, and Neumann on Praga.  What's
>your opinion among these three? Also, are there any outstanding recordings
>of any of the three works in different couplings?

I have a Philips two-disc 1994 reissue set (442 583-2) with which I'm
pretty pleased.  Contents are:

Symphony in C (LSO/Colin Davis - 1965)
Symphony in Three Movements (LSO/Colin Davis - 1964)
Symphonies for Wind Instruments (Netherlands Wind Ensemble/de Waart - 1974)
Violin Concerto in D (Grumiaux/Concertgebouw/Bour - 1967)
Ebony Concerto (George Pieterson/Netherlands Wind Ensemble/de Waart - 1974)
Symphony of Psalms (Russian State Academy Chorus and Orchestra/Markevitch
- 1974)

Sonics a little duff in a couple of places, but altogether a good intro to
Stravinsky's symphonic oeuvre.

Tim Mahon
Alexandria, VA