From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 17:33:56 -0500
Janos Gereben on Steinberg's List:

>From the San Francisco Symphony program, Jan. 6-9, 2000, Steinberg's 20th
>century orchestral repertory to be shipwrecked with, works that speak of
>their time significantly -- "in some future century, whose testimony would
>I want to conjure up?"

I suppose that if you write in an orchestra program you have got to lay
off chamber music and opera - rather takes the steam out of the whole
enterprise.

Also, while others count the end of the century as jan 1 2000, and
others opt for Jan 1 2001, Mr. Steinberg apparently chooses Jan 1 1988.
I understand that it is hard to judge the very new, but if anyone has
credibility it is Steinberg.  The list is refreshindly eclectic.  It is
good to see that the three great VW symphonies are given their due.

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University