From:
Peter Lundin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:54:16 +0100
Danny Tan asks:

>I have only know two Chinese works written for the western orchestra,
>namely the Butterfly Lovers Concerto for Violin and Orchestra and The
>Yellow River Concerto for piano and orchestra.  Can anyone recommend
>others which are as beautiful as these?

I dont know if I have anything remotely as "beautiful" as the ones that
Danny mentions, but there is much intresting music availible by Chinese
composers these days, music that are beautiful to my ears and that often
incorporate allusions to a native tonality and not as fawning as the works
mentioned (My personal opinion).  One of the most prominent are Tan Dun,
who have CD's out on Koch and Sony - I have not yet made up my mind if He
is a genius or a jeester, You have to sample his music and make up Your
mind.

My favourite among the newer garde is Guo, Wenjing, he has written concerti
for both Pipa (a Chinese lute) and bamboo flutes, both remains unavailible
commercially AFAIK, a grate pity.  The only thing of him I have on regular
CD is a work called "She Huo", this on a CD with the Dutch Nieuw Enseble on
their own Zebra Records (Zebra 001).  This CD also feature music ny Mo,
Wuping - Chen Qigang - Xu, Shuya - Qu, Xiaosong and Tan Dun, this CD carry
my strongest recomendation.  Unfortunatly, AFAIK its only availible direct
from the label outside Holland, their contact Adress is:

   Nieuw Ensemble/Zebra Records
   Keizersgracht 261
   1016 EC Amsterdam
   The Netherlands

   Phone: (31 20) 620 23 31
   Fax: (31 20) 611 90 81
   Mail: [log in to unmask]

If You get a chance to hear the Nieuw Ensemble I strongly recomend it, I
belive that during February they are turing the Netherlands with a New (?)
opera by Franco Donatoni called: Alfred, Alfred.  I heard them do their
Chinese program last fall and was mightily impressed.

peter lundin, gothenburg.se -  Counting the days: DSCH 100 (1906-2006)