From:
Deryk Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:30:39 -0800
Milan Gowin ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>It is a source of wonderment to me that Mozart is bashed so much more
>>frequently than any other master.  It is as if the old eighteenth century
>>drawing room cliches are being reinstated...
>
>I agree with Dr. Chasan, and I recall that this thread did come up last
>year sometime.

I said then and I'll say again (at least I think it was on this list):
yes Mozart was a great genius, yes he wrote some incredibly profound
and affecting music.

However, not every last note he penned is of the same quality and I, for
one, often feel the need fopr a corrective who would have us believe that
something written by Mozart when he was 11 is a masterpiece simply because
of its composer.

FWIW I don't believe his violin concertos (well not all of them) would be
in the standard repertoire if somebody else's name were attached to them

Deryk Barker