From:
Arri Bachrach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2002 17:44:22 -0500
Tomasz Biernacki wrote:

>And here, I think, is the great role of the conductor.  He can put some
>musicality, expression and feelings into the orchestra.  But that also is
>not always a rule.

to a certain extent- but you cannot impose phrasing etc,- it has to be felt
by the soloist

>...  My point was that the quality of sound isn't ONLY depending on
>musicians' skills.

of course- I agree-

>>perfection is not important- besides- it is very rare that a performance
>>goes by without some slips- with digital recordings, splicing is easy -
>
>I am ashamed hearing about recording measure by measure, where's the music
>then?

usually you cannot tell where and if splicing were done- splicing does
not necessarily mean that the musicality of the performance will be
compromised- it surely is not done "measure by measure"-

>>his playing is NOT interesting- rather hear the equivalent of a not top 10
>>orchestra type pianist- his recent Chopin concertos are not convincing nor
>>imaginative so far as I am concerned
>
>I was thinking about Beethoven Vth and Debussy. For me - gems.

he is a very competent pianists, no doubt, but not "interesting" to my ears
- seems to lack a real imagination and tonal variety-

AB