From:
Ray Bayles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 17:48:12 -0700
Donald Clarke wrote:

>At one point I had over 80 recordings of Mahler's 4th symphony.  ...

I know the feeling.  I had 6000 classical CD's stolen from my house while
I was on the air doing my classical music show...  The police and insurance
company didn't believe anybody would have that many classical recordings...
but later gave in when about 1/4 of them were found out in the desert
near Gallup, New Mexico.  They didn't sell because eBay wasn't that big
back in 1994.  Thieves I have met since tell me it is very difficult to
get rid of the classical music they have robbed from somebody's house.

My collections have been rebuilt to where I have over 40 recordings of
Beethoven's violin concerto, nearly that many of Mozart's Magic Flute,
Most of the work of Charles Ives, and Shostakovich.  I take pure delight
in listening for all the interpretations famous performers and conductors
put out.

It is of particular interest to track the unfolding of 20th Century and
Modern music...

But I still meet people who have a large percentage of their CD collection
still unopened.  Are they merely showing off.  I do not dare ask.

Ray Bayles