From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2004 21:43:56 +0200
Usama Amin writes

>... Gatti is quite the active conductor, with arms flailing about all over
>the place.

In the context of the rest of the posting it sounds as if Gatti's problem,
apart from audiences, may have been the orchestra.  He quite frequently
conducts here in Munich, both at the Opera and the Symphonie.  Here, his
body language on the podium is expressive but tends toward the moderate
side.  There's never been any trouble with audiences that I know of --but
audience behavior here can differ radically from that in the States.
Gatti comes from an eminanet musician family and is steeped in the stuff.
He is a brainy conductor who here manages orchestras with facility.  I'm
surprised at the stir he caused on the other shore of the pond; I wouldn't
have suspected it in the character I got to experience.

Denis Fodor