Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Denis Fodor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 21:50:53 +0100
Karl Miller writes:

>...I am reminded of a letter I read in Film Score monthly.  This particular
>film music enthusiast wrote something like..."the problem with classical
>music is that there is so much stuff between the good stuff.  With film
>music, it's just the good parts."...

Much of the lament concerning the daemmerung of classical music relates
to live performance.  (I mean, let's face it: recordings are far more
plentiful than they were in the heyday of the Teatro Colon or the Theater
an der Wien.)Film music is very professional stuff in the genre of "art
music." The film action is usually more susceptible to controversy than
is its accompanying music.  Moreover, the music understandably tends to
sound modern because the sound track is a modern invention.  That may
explain why a lot of kids are not a priori averse to liking it.  Why,
then, don't some of these concert halls that find themselves catering
to ever more annuated audiences have their orchestras and music directors
play programs of movie music-- music, I would add, backdropped by a large
screen showing the parts of whatever movie the music relates to?  I can
even imagine a whole festival devoted to this (or has it already been
done?)

Denis Fodor