From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:41:41 +1100
I imagine many of us have played a new CD without giving it full
attention, put it on the shelf and later returned to it to find something
much better than first impressions suggested.  So it was with an ASV CD
of three string quartets by Joseph Marx to which I've just been listening.
I can't imagine why they didn't make a bigger impact when I first heard
them, but they are very special indeed.  In particular, the slow movement
of the Quartetto in Modo Antico is profoundly beautiful.  I found Scott
Morrison's enthusiastic review in the archives and must strongly agree
with his opinions.  My copy of the CD came from Berkshire but unfortunately,
most of the Marx now on offer is Groucho, not Joseph.  Now I'm going to
play that magnificent slow movement again.

Richard Pennycuick