From:
Roberto Strappafelci <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:43:37 +0100
Donald Satz wrote:

>Trying to respond well to Doug's concerns, I think the number one
>consideration is whether he would prefer HIP, non-HIP, or both.

Given the fact that at the time the cantatas were sung by a bunch of
schoolboys, I don't think that today's professional singers can even come
close to a HIP.  Buy the worse you can get, and you'll come a bit closer
to a historical informed performance.  Take the Hungarian Radio Chorus on
Naxos instead, and Bach's chorales will shine forever.  Of course, be sure
to include BWV 147 and 82 in your selection.  My very, very humble opinion.

Roberto Strappafelci